In the midst of the climate crisis, Wintershall, Germany's largest oil and gas producer, is destroying land and nature worldwide. Wintershall uses fracking technology in the Global South, which is banned in Germany.
In doing so, the company shows no consideration for the impact of its activities on the climate and on local people. In doing so, they actively disregard fundamental human rights. Their sole aim is to maximise their own profits at the expense of others!
We will stop Wintershall.
The gas that Wintershall and Europe's gas and oil companies ship to the Global North destroys communities and land in the Global South as it is extracted. We have the opportunity and the responsibility to stop this destruction.
- Wintershall is pushing ahead with the expansion of the Nordstream pipeline in Europe and uses fracking technology in the Global South, which is banned in the EU. At the same time, the extraction and use of natural gas greatly increases the accumulation of dangerous greenhouse gases in our atmosphere and thus global warming!
- Wintershall operations in e.g. Argentina destroy land, nature and the health of the local population.
Footage from Argentina.
The Vaca Muerta basin is a climate bomb.
The Eviction of the Vaca Muerta.
The Mapuche communities in Vaca Muerta in Argentina are also affected by the company's operations. They lose access to their land, their groundwater is contaminated and they are exposed to adverse health effects (e.g. lung diseases, cancer) from the chemicals used in fracking.
But the German government refuses to accept any responsibility for the actions of German companies abroad.
WHAT WE DEMAND
We stand against Wintershall. The company must be stopped by legal and political means.
- We demand a just exit and transition for workers in the fossil fuel industry.
- We demand compensation for all those affected by land loss from natural gas extraction.
- We demand restoration and protection of damaged ecosystems.
- a worldwide ban of fracking
- the immediate end to the use of natural gas (for energy, plastics or fertiliser)
- a ban on all LNG-imports to Europe
- no further investments in gas infrastructure - Nord Stream 2 must be stopped
- the switch to 100 % renewable energies
- a decentralised energy democracy for all and participation through citizens' councils
Wintershall has to pay COMPENSATION to affected communities and ecosystems.
I want to help, because #WintershallMustFall
Join World Water Day!
Berlin: 12h Dorothea-Schlegel-Platz, 22.03.21
Fracking: Brücke in die Klimakrise. Kundgebung, Demo & Performance
Get ready for further actions and join the Extinction Rebellion Germany Telegram group: http://t.me/xrdeutschland & http://t.me/berlinaction2020
Find out more about the issue yourself and about the Stop Ecocide Foundation and join their mailing list.
Ireland is the first country in the world to ban gas imports from fracking, while promoting international solidarity actions that connect extraction sites in the Global South with consumption centres in the Global North. This video shows the first joint international action of its kind, bringing together associations in the US, Ireland, Argentina and Spain.